Monday, June 11, 2007

Whalesbone Oyster House

I have not been since Vardy joined either, but have to agree with the Citizen food critic, Anne Desbrisay, on this place. They are way too expensive for the decor.

Did notice earlier this year that they were renovating the restaurant though. Still, it's an awfully small place. And if they put in plusher seats and bring in Vardy, does that mean that they are going to be even more expensive!? I think they would price themselves out of the market then.

And the service was no hell the last couple of times I have been there, back in 2005/6.

They were originally themed after the Rodney Oyster House in Toronto, which was significantly more impressive. The variety of oysters there was significant. I think I counted 60 the last time I went back in the late ‘90s. Whalebone should not call itself an oyster house at all. It’s more of a bistro restaurant that wants to sell oysters. Trying to compete with Big Daddy’s on Elgin, which was more interesting than Whalebone, for oysters.

I have always thought that the chef makes or breaks a restaurant, so it would be interesting, consider Vardy's nomadic nature, whether he really makes a difference.

I still haven’t been to Par-Fyum either…. Slipping…

2007 06 11.


EatDrinkOttawa.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Richard said...

Hey Che... and your Whalesbone buddies.... I can make better cured duck than u.....

so.... fuck off.... i really don't care that Vardy is coming back to do the new whalesbone location or whatever else.....

and no need to ampersand your stuff... an arse is an ass is an arse.... so..... go fuck yourself....

and stop sending shit to my site... it is my site..., and you can't get through! and I will not condescend on publishing your anon shit, u twits....

and Wall at Fougeres does not rule... he sucks....

sincerely... richard.