Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Benitz, les Fougeres, Allium and Royal Treasure

Royal treasure, Benitz, les Fougeres and Allium



Went to these four places recently and wanted to post something before it became stale-dated.....

Royal Treasure... forget about it... this is a regular haunt of mine that has raised it's prices twice in recent months and it is just not worth it.... Szechwan sucks and the rest is Cantonese stir fry..... I used to go here all the time... like every day....but other than the sour and hot soup and the large singles plates.... it’s the pits...

Allium is an avoid.... terrible food, surprised it is actually on a list of 'chefs' in Ottawa to eat at...

Fougeres was a disappointment... and I did not have high expectations.... the sommelier sucked and the food was at best country style cooking.... and relatively expensive because of the reputation.... I would pass on this one, although it was after many years that I found the occasion to go again recently... as in a couple of days ago....

Benitz, I was there in the past week and I was really disappointed....I shall write more, but it would appear that Derek was drawn between the two kitchens and was not present, in mind, the night I was there…... the wine, a malbec…… was fine…., but did not really go with the food….. and some of the food items were either too bland, as in the rabbit… or too ‘tick’… as in the soup, and duck confit…..

To be fair, I will write more on the details of Fougeres and Benitz... but the other two, AVIOD.....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Really I ust have a question for you: I have the Media Release for an upcoming food event that you may be interested in but I don't see a link on your blog with contact information. The event is called Celebrity Hors d'Oeuvres and is a benefit for the Great Canadian Theatre Company. If you're interested in reading the release email info@gctc.ca and I'd be happy to forward it to you.

Richard said...

i would suggest that you post it to this site as a comment... I will publish it and we can all see.

if I were not interested, I am sure that others might be.....

I am all for supporting the GCTC....

If it's the one related to the ten best chefs in Ottawa having a cook off, which is available at all the restaurants... I already have my comments on the ability of some of the chefs... which is not much.... but must say I have not tried Blackie at Brookstreet, not being able to get up and go to a hotel restaurant even if the food is really good... and I have my doubts....

Richard said...

Hey Che... and your Whalesbone buddies.... I can make better cured duck than u.....

so.... fuck off.... i really don't care that Vardy is coming back to do the new whalesbone location or whatever else.....

and no need to ampersand your stuff... an arse is an ass is an arse.... so..... go fuck yourself....

and stop sending shit to my site... it is my site..., and you can't get through! and I will not condescend on publishing your anon shit, u twits....

and Wall at Fougeres does not rule... he sucks....

sincerely... richard.