Monday, November 19, 2007

Sushi in Ottawa... there is none...

Will put more on my blog when I get time, but the most recent discovery is Sushi Time on Queen Street in Toronto. It is run by a Chinese chef from Hong Kong who has worked in Japan. As a result, he has merged some of the best Chinese orientations to this Jap dim sum… and with creativity. And it’s not all raw fish….. The guy’s name is Tony…and that’s about all the facts I know at this point, but the program was pretty impressive and you’d have to speak Cantonese to get it, but he has squid with melted cheese, eggplant deep fried topped with raw tuna, sushi made with fruit and fried salmon roe…. The tastes are of course in the sauces and ingredients, and are supposedly magical.

Goes to show what we have in Ottawa… how low the standards are and where we have to go to get decent multi cultural food and vindicates my berating of Chinese cooks usurping other cuisines like Thai and Jap because of the margins in Ottawa. Until we get world class chefs here, there will always be a niche for someone to make money…. Or maybe not… does Ottawa really know what to eat?

Also read Desbrisay’s pieces in this past Sunday’s paper and you will see why I don’t think much of her reviews….


2007 11 19. Aspy's Birthday....

7 comments:

Christina said...

Sushi Kan is actually a pretty awesome place to go. How many sushi places have you actually tried? Doesnt sound like that many as there are quite a few places that are pretty decent.

Richard said...

you know, I was wondering whether anyone actually read these things, but obvious 'sushi' always creates a stir in Ottawa (I have had quite a few comments/hits). Maybe because we are trying so hard to find a decent place that's relatively cheap....

somewhere in this blog is actually quite a detailed piece on Sushi Kan... all the stuff you read is true.... it is an 'iffy' place..., but quantum meruit, if you order right away... as I advised in my piece, it's one of the best values in Ottawa....

as for sushi places I have not been to in Ottawa... I have yet to hear of one....

but then I don't really care for sushi... at least not as much as some of the readers of this blog...

Vardy has self destructed....

And the owner of Beckta's goes to Le Baccara to celebrate special occasions....

What does that tell you about Ottawa Eating..... I have not changed my opinion on the dirge of Ottawa eateries as outlined in another piece in the blog... see, I am not that computer literate....

Richard said...

read the 'dirge of decent rest...' piece in this blog for AYCE sushi....

Toronto is always better and Vancouver is another order of magnitude as is then San Fran and New York....

Ottawa just cannot compare...!!! maybe it's the fault of the audience....

Richard said...

Past article on DesBrisay on how she became a food critic sounded like the accidental tourist. A journalist that doesn't like to cook or eat, who thinks mac and cheese is the answer to all woes.

She may have studied cooking, but I don't see a love of eating or cooking.

I still read her reviews and unless she says the place is fall off the chair good, I won't try.

She actually said damn in piece on Porto de Casa in Barrhaven... maybe there is some passion in her after all.

Anonymous said...

We tried Beckta. I think it is over-rated.

Richard said...

But Beckta is one of the best Ottawa has... I only give it a 3/5 but it is benchmark.

The only two 4/5s reputedly, which I have not tried are Le Baccara and the Cordon Bleu cooking school's Signitures...

And I am indeed talking about the Panache on Somerset.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you Richard. I am stuck in Ottawa and everytime when I crave for something I cannot think of anywhere I could get some decent food. So i would just end up cooking at my own home.